A report just released by PhoCusWright reveals the following:
- More than four out of ten U.S. travelers (44%) consider environmental impact to be important to them when planning travel
- A majority of U.S. travelers (56%) are skeptical of what companies tell them about their green practices
- Just under a third of travelers indicate a willingness to pay some sort of premium for green travel
- Only 8% of green travelers believe it is easy to find green travel options
(From PhoCusWright Report here.)
These findings have a significant impact on the strategies used to market 'green vacations' to those looking for environmentally friendly and sustainable holidays.
- Establishing social credibility is more important than ever when trying to reach green travelers. Since many travelers are willing to pay a little more for green travel options, it is worth making the effort to convince them.
- Word-of-mouth marketing techniques are critical to success here, as they help bolster a company's social credibility.
- Make it easy for your potential visitors to get this information. Start with your current mailing list of past customers who already trust you and promote the green aspects of your business to them.
Use your website, blog and e-mail newsletters to tell your customers how green you are!